Degradable rubbish bags
European Union Legislation
European Union legislation requires that:
- packaging must be minimal and subject to safety and hygiene, whilst being acceptable to the consumer
- noxious or hazardous substances in packaging must be minimised in emissions, ash or leachate from incineration or landfill
- packaging must be recoverable through at least one of the following: material recycling, incineration with energy recovery and composting or biodegradation
- packaging may be reusable.
Packaging (Essential Requirements) Regulations 1998 (S.I. 1998 No 1165)
The Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations 1997 stipulate that:
- at least 50% by weight of all packaging waste should be recovered
- 25% should be recycled, with a minimum of 15% for each material.
Producers have to pay a penalty if they fail to meet these targets. This can increase their costs and make it harder for them to compete