Heating houses by sunlight
How sustainable is solar power generally?
Dr Roaf has shown that solar energy can be used effectively even in a country with such low average sunshine hours as the UK. In European countries and other continents with higher sunshine averages, the benefits are even greater.
Think about these additional advantages.
- Solar energy does little to harm the environment.
- Solar water heating panels can be made with materials available in the
- countries where they are used.
- Solar panels can be used in remote areas that dont have access to any other forms of energy.
- Solar systems can make communities more independent of national power organisations.
- Solar power can be used for a range of practical purposes in remote areas, including pumping water, lighting, vaccine refrigeration, electric fencing and heating water.
- Even when the sun does not shine because of cloud or dust, its diffuse rays can still be used to produce electricity or heat.