Degradable rubbish bags
Are degradable rubbish bags sustainable?
Think about the following.
- Using degradable bags would reduce the strain on landfill sites considerably.
- When they degrade, the bags produce only small amounts of harmless carbon dioxide and water.
- Waste in degradable rubbish bags decomposes quicker than in standard polythene sacks.
- The bags are very light, so the environmental impact of transporting them is small.
- The bags are still made from polythene, which is made from oil (a finite resource).
- In the longer term, we must question the sheer quantity of waste that we generate and try to ensure that all 'waste' from households and workplaces is used to provide the feedstock for another product. From this perspective, collecting garden and other biodegradable waste in totally degradable sacks for composting is a step forward.