Nut oil extraction for cosmetics
How is babassu oil harvested and used?
- Babassu nuts ripen on the tree before falling to the ground.
- Women and children collect the nuts and take them home on mules.
- The babassu breakers crack open the hard outer shell by putting each nut on the blade of an upturned axe and hitting it with a wooden club.
- The kernels are removed and taken to the COPPALJ community shop.
- A truck collects the kernels on a regular weekly or fortnightly basis and takes them to the processing centre.
- The kernels are weighed and the oil is pressed into large tanks.
- Every ten days the oil is decanted into 200-litre drums.
- The drums are taken to the seaport of Forteleza and shipped. The Body Shops order is taken to Holland for refining and use in ananya lotion, unfragranced lotion, olive body butter and white musk lotion.