Water - pump as you play!
Is the play pump sustainable?
Think about the following:
- The play pump runs on energy created by children playing free, fun and environmentally friendly.
- Local families can now collect water by turning a tap, rather than having to spend time pumping it up from the borehole. This leaves women more time to earn money, and their children more time for education.
- The tank and pump are sealed units, so the water supply is free from contamination.
- The play pump is made from basic equipment and materials that are relatively easy to buy in most rural areas.
- The drive mechanism is strong and doesnt break down very often as it has so few moving parts.
- The pump can be maintained by local people.
- Money generated by advertisements on the side of the water tank is used to train local people and keep the equipment working well.
- The advertising hoardings are also used to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS, and are set to play a part in wider community action programmes to prevent the spread of the disease