Nut oil extraction for cosmetics
Is babassu oil sustainable?
Think about the following.
- Nothing is wasted from the babassu nut - as well as its use in cosmetics, the shell is used as fuel, fibres in porridge, and it is a source of alcohol, charcoal and oil for fuel.
- Babassu nuts are a readily available natural resource and are harvested by local people.
- The women babassu breakers work locally, collecting nuts and extracting kernels at the same time as looking after their children and homes.
- The babassu palm is vital as a source of income for local people.
- The status and influence of women has been significantly improved as a result of their involvement in COPPALJ.
- Trade has increased the importance of the babassu palm and its conservation has become more important.
- COPPALJ has invested money in improving its oil press and conditions in the factory.