Unique bike design solutions
Are specialist bicycles sustainable?
Are Jan Willem Deymans specialist bicycles a sustainable transport solution for Dutch cities?
Think about the following.
- Bicycles use human power - they dont cause air pollution by running on energy produced by burning fossil fuels.
- They are cleaner and quieter than cars, buses and trains.
- They are safer for pedestrians and cause fewer accidents than other forms of transport
- The cyclist gets healthy exercise.
- Bicycles are easy to maintain and repair. If part of a bike breaks, it is cheap to replace.
- Making specialist bicycles has helped to create jobs, as each bike is made individually by hand, rather than on an automatic production line.
- Jan Willem Deymans business employs and trains people who would otherwise find it hard to get a job.
- Cyclists and passengers are easily hurt if a car or lorry runs into them.
- Bicycles dont usually provide protection against rain or snow - although Jan is now developing sustainable rainwear to meet this need!