- The designers found out what the Maasai women wanted from the new houses. Can you list the womens needs? How are they different from your own housing needs?
- Imagine you are a house designer! Think of a friend or relative who might like their house improved (this will be your client). Carry out an interview to find out the main changes that your client would like to make to his or her house. Draw a floor plan to show your ideas for the improved house.
- Think about how students move around your school. Could the buildings layout be improved? Sketch a plan to show any improvements you think could be made.
- Ask your teacher to arrange for an architect or building planner to visit your class. Prepare questions to ask about their work.
- As a class, discuss the following:
- In Europe, many more men than women work in house construction. Why do you think this is?
- What might go wrong if designers did not talk and listen to the people who were going to use what they were designing?
- What improvements could you suggest to make your own house or school more sustainable in the future?