Are wind-powered systems sustainable?
Think about the following.
- Converting wind energy into electricity is clean.
- The wind supply will never run out.
- The alternatives burning kerosene and recharging batteries in town rely on fossil fuels.
- Using a wind-powered system saves time, as people no longer have to go into town to recharge batteries.
- Making the components locally creates jobs.
- Setting up a communal scheme provides opportunities for community development. In the experimental scheme, local womens organisations have been empowered.
- Having cheaper electricity in the home enables people to take part in more cultural and educational activities.
- People need to be trained in how to use and maintain the equipment.
- The wind-powered systems are expensive and families need credit to pay for the equipment.
Both of these issues are in hand.