Unique bike design solutions
Activities prior to 2001
- Carry out a survey to find out how people travel to school. How many students in your class travel to school by bike? What is the most popular way of getting to school? Why do you think this is? Why don't more people travel by bike?
- As a class, try to think of ways to persuade people to ride a bicycle to school. You could design and make a display for the school hall or entrance that encourages students to come to school by bike.
- In groups, talk about who might need to use a specialist bicycle in your town, village or school. Choose someone to be your 'client'. How would a specialist bike help them? Why would it be better than other forms of transport?
- Write a design brief that shows your client's individual needs.
- Sketch and label possible designs.
- Think about how you would tackle safety issues in your design.
- Discuss the good and bad points of your ideas with others in your class.
If you have access to a scanner, e-mail your design brief and sketch to: