Are the new Maasai homes sustainable?
Are the new Maasai housing designs sustainable homes for the future?
Think about the following.
- The Maasai women have increased their technical knowledge and skills by learning new building technologies.
- They are able to pass on their skills to other women.
- The women have developed closer links with building material suppliers, enabling them to get a better price for materials.
- All of the materials used are available locally.
- The building techniques cause little harm to the environment.
- Because families are able to build the new houses themselves, they can modify them to meet their particular needs.
- The women waste less time carrying out repairs and fetching water. This leaves them free to earn money by making craft goods, and so on.
- There have been improvements in health as a result of the new designs, for example better ventilation means that fewer children get chest infections.
- Children are benefiting from better lighting and more space to work indoors (on their homework!).